Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

TRUCK STOP ANGEL: Excerpt #4

"Didn't get a chance. They got upset when I pointed out that Ricky was fine with me working outside the home until he started working at their church, and to keep his job he had to attend services. His uncle is a great one for declaring how husbands and wives should treat each other, and somehow it's always the wife's fault when things go wrong. She can't argue with her husband when he's sinning, and she gets punished just as much as he does when he gets caught. It's not fair."

"What's not fair is making yourself keep attending that church after Ricky walked out on you and filed for divorce. I suppose that's your fault, too? Did you tell them why he dumped you and the children?"

"Nobody would believe that he demanded I abort." Hope sighed and closed her eyes for a moment, mentally pushing the discussion away. "So, what have you heard? Is it true Ricky has just taken off, vanished, no forwarding address?"

"We can only hope."

"Maybe they'll leave me alone, now. Without Ricky to remind them I'm around. Since I don't go to their church anymore, I mean."

"You don't go to church at all, do you?" Iris's eyebrow raised, higher every heartbeat, until Hope finally shook her head.

Why was it, that little admission made her feel more ashamed than when she had come to her foster-mother with the pregnancy test wand displaying its terrifying little plus sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment