Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

BWU STORIES -- Excerpt #5

It occurred to her, as Tamela fumbled through her purse -- how had she jammed so much into that tiny bag, anyway? It looked like all the contents of Mary Poppins' bag were trying to squeeze their way out the drawstring opening at the same time -- that her classmate might have seen some of the special treatment she had gotten in the last week and thought maybe she had an 'in' with the professors.

"Somebody said you're from around here, right?"

"Yep. Grew up in Tabor, went to Tabor Christian all my life. Why?"

"Great. See, I'm trying to straighten out my life. That was one of my New Year's resolutions. And going to church and getting hooked up with God again, that's at the top of the list. But I'm a total ditzoid." Tamela grinned and rolled her eyes. "I also feel like that guy from the Lil Abner comic strip -- do you know what I'm talking about?"

"There was a musical called 'Lil Abner'--"

"Yep, it's based on the comic strips. Anyway, there was this guy who was followed around by a black cloud and anything that could go wrong with him, did. Of course, I can't remember his name, Joe something… but I'm kind of like that guy. I break things without meaning to. I know if I depend on the alarm on my iPod to get me up on Sunday morning, I'll wake up right after lunch and realize I set it for pm instead of am. Or it'll run out of power an hour before it's supposed to wake me up, because I'll forget to recharge it. Things like that. Could you maybe call me on Sunday morning, get me out of bed when you do? Help me get to church on time, at least?"

For some reason, strains of the song with the same refrain from "My Fair Lady" decided to stream through Kristen's mind. She muffled a giggle at the non sequitur, because the song had nothing whatsoever to do with Tamela's goals and request.

"I'll try, but the way my life has been going lately, I'm kind of in the same boat with you. If something can go wrong in my life, it will."

"Okay…" They trudged along in silence for a dozen or so steps. Then Tamela chuckled. "Maybe your bad luck will cancel out my bad luck, and working together, we'll finally have some things go right for a change. We'll be each other's guardian angels."

"Sounds like a plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment