Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

March 7: THE FAMILY WAY

      "He's moving us in with his father," Lisa offered.
      "What? When did this happen?" Pastor Glenn looked shocked.
      "He thinks I don't know, but the moving company called Wednesday while he was at work and confirmed details. His father has already let me know that I'm an unfit mother and that Todd and I have to move in with him. Todd hardly ever says no to his father."
      "Lisa... I don't know what to say." There really were tears in his eyes now.
      "I'm not going with him."
      "Do you think that's wise?"
      "I have my baby to think about. I have my own sanity to protect. And my own health, if not my life." She touched the tiny pink scar above her temple. Charli had offered to drive her to the doctor to get the stitches removed yesterday afternoon, and Lisa had taken advantage of the car and her help to haul a whole load to the bakery's basement to store until moving day. Pastor Glenn winced, then nodded that he understood. "There was a time when, if he had just said he was sorry, I would have forgiven him and everything would have been fine. Now, I don't think I would believe him if he got down on his knees and apologized."
      "Sometimes we have to let go, Lisa. Sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and ask God to help us do the impossible."
      "What if I don't want to? What if I just want Todd out of my life?" A teary laugh escaped her. "He started talking about our summer vacation yesterday. We never go on vacations. We get hip deep in travel brochures and guide books, trying to decide what we want to do. We end up not going anywhere because we want to be careful with our money... but just planning is fun. Was fun. Dreaming." Lisa squeezed her eyes shut, fighting tears. They trickled down her cheeks anyway, two solitary, scalding drops, in defiance of her vows. "I think I've forgotten how to dream. Todd took that away from me."
      "Maybe you should give him one more chance. A trip might be a good idea. Getting away from everyone and everything might be what you two need."

      "He's not sorry," she whispered. "He's just trying to buy my forgiveness. Why can't he just say he's sorry? Why can't he explain why he's so selfish and... and suspicious?" she choked out. "I don't want flowers and candy and dinners out if he doesn't love me anymore!"

No comments:

Post a Comment